Being spiritually formed is foundational to obtaining a clear
and compelling vision of mission. A compelling sense of mission
springs from the overflow of deep communion with the Spirit.
Hunger for the Holy, longing for relationship with God is a universal human quality. The longing for spiritual connection and “home” is deep and pervasive in our world. God yearns for our wholeness and calls us into relationship and response.
God wants shalom (justice, reconciliation, wellbeing, wholeness, and peace) for all of creation.
God’s shalom is embodied in persons and communities through a deepening relationship with the Divine that reshapes our identity and calls us to compassionate action, healing, and peacemaking in the pattern of Christ. Holistic spiritual formation is centered in God and transforms every dimension of human personhood and community. The need is great for people who sense the call to listen more deeply to themselves, others, God, and creation as the source of action and response in the world.
When your willingness to live in sacred community as Christ’s new creation exceeds your natural fear of spiritual and relational transformation, you will become who you are called to be.
Participants will gain knowledge and skills in the history, tradition, and practice of Christian spiritual formation through experiential and academic learning, worship, small group communities, Spiritual Direction, and spiritual practices.
Year 1: Spiritual Formation and Transformation
Awaken to Divine Presence
- Deepen your relationship with God
- Explore prayer and spiritual practices
- Learn spiritual wisdom in the Christian tradition
- Engage in deep listening to God, self, and others
- Discern personal yearnings, questions, and calling
- Embody compassionate action and God’s shalom
Those sensing a call to the ministry of spiritual companioning and leadership will be invited to discern ongoing participation and apply for Years 2 and 3.
Years 2 and 3: Spiritual Companioning and Leadership
Spiritual formation ministers completing the program will be trained in:
- Holy listening and spiritual companioning
- Discernment principles and processes
- Forms of prayer and meditation for diverse spiritual types
- Facilitating spiritual formation with individuals and groups in diverse settings
- Integrating spirituality and mission through receptive and active spiritual practices
All who are interested in exploring and deepening their spiritual journey are invited to apply! Those sensing a call to the ministry of spiritual companioning and leadership will be invited to discern ongoing participation and apply for Years 2 and 3.
Those who complete the full three years will receive a certificate in Spiritual Companionship and Leadership.
Certificate of Complete Requirements
To receive the certificate, participants are required to:
- Engage in ongoing discernment of call to Formation Ministries
- Participate in assigned small group communities
- Engage in one-on-one spiritual direction with a qualified director
- Complete assigned readings and assignments
- Complete a final project based on application of spiritual formation skills in a local context
- Complete one personal two night silent retreat (year 3)
Applications are closed at this time. More information on Cohort 3 will be coming in Summer 2022!