The Diversity and Inclusion Team upholds the worth of persons and supports sharing the peace of Jesus Christ. It provides an underpinning to the church’s foundation by upholding inclusive beliefs and behaviors in relation to human interactions. Its focus is upon education, advocacy, inclusion, and organizational change in support of justice and covenant with one another and God.
The Diversity and Inclusion Team offers direction and resources to support the church on its journey to become more inclusive and just. It provides education and sensitizing resources to the members of the church at all levels (congregation to worldwide church leaders).
The team works in these areas:
- Review current church educational materials and provide feedback for developing inclusivity in these resources.
- Create educational resources that will assist individuals, local congregations, and mission centers understand and create more inclusivity.
- Provide relevant resources to congregations that answer questions and concerns about diversity and inclusivity.
- Strengthen advocacy competence within congregations seeking to confront issues of discrimination.
- Increase awareness within the wider church body of the needs and concerns of diverse populations and to help identify ways these issues can be more fully addressed
- Create and support dissemination of information about diversity and inclusion among church members.
- Produce resources to sensitize the church to the experiences of diverse individuals.
- Uphold and advocate for diversity and inclusion through team participation on several IHQ committees and provide services to IHQ functional areas as requested.
Cathi Cackler-Veazey, co-chair
Gwendolyn Hawks-Blue, co-chair
Jerry M. Dale, Jr.
Nanette Chun-Ming Ward