Posted 30 June 2022
Open until filled
Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management, Business Administration or a related field. Other degrees will be considered as relevant to position description.
Minimum of five years successful and progressive management experience in a camp, resort or retreat center environment, or an institution (school, health care facility, etc.).
Buckhorn Board president and board
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Summary of Position
Buckhorn Camp is looking for a talented, motivated and detail-oriented individual to oversee the management of our 120 acre facility located in the southern California mountains of Idyllwild, CA. The qualified individual for this position should have at least five years of management experience, preferably in a camp, resort or retreat center environment, or an institution (school, health care facility, etc.). Responsibilities include but are not limited to, the management of all personnel, operations, buildings and property, up to and exceeding the satisfaction of the guests.
This position is responsible for the overall direction and operation of Buckhorn Camp—in accordance with the Community of Christ owners requirements and applicable safety, health and accreditation standards—in order to serve the program needs of patrons and guests. We have a no tobacco/alcohol/drug/weapons policy for all Community of Christ properties and facilities and the successful candidate is expected to uphold this policy to all users and employees of the grounds.
This facility offers full service housing, dining and recreational services for groups ranging from 40 to 350 campers at a time. Under the direction of the property’s Board of Directors, the Buckhorn Camp Executive Director is responsible for financial success through administrative staff leadership, marketing, food service, recreational, custodial and maintenance efforts. The package includes a relocation plan, residence with utilities on the grounds is provided along with health benefits. Must have a flexible schedule with the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed, and the ability to fill in for other staff roles in their absence. Persons with full time or part time interest are welcome to apply. Please include pay range expectations commensurate with experience.
- Provide daily leadership in the operation of Buckhorn Camp to serve Community of Christ groups, as well as extending welcome and radical hospitality to other organizations with similar values, ministry and service to others. This includes the management of all personnel, operations (food and hospitality services, facilities and grounds maintenance, seasonal staff, etc.), marketing, and safe stewardship of buildings and property.
- Ensure that Buckhorn Camp policies, procedures and business and human resource ethics are adhered to.
- Lead by example by maintaining positive working relationships with all Buckhorn Camp employees and by regularly working along-side staff and performing tasks when staff are not available (washing dishes, hauling trash, cooking, making beds, painting, etc).
- Inspire a team-oriented environment that fulfills the mission and success of the organization.
- Work with Buckhorn Camp Board of Directors to develop and implement a visionary and strategic business plan for the property.
- Management objectives include, but are not limited to, safety for guests and employees, budget preparation and monitoring, growth marketing, organizing facility’s use, maintenance of facility buildings and grounds, outstanding hospitality for facility guests, successful retention of user groups, marketing to potential user groups, expense control, revenue growth and a positive environment for guests and employees.
- Be the primary phone contact for booking inquiries, guest needs assessment, quote development, scheduling facilities usage, booking follow-up, coordinating with Food Service Manager menu needs for multiple groups, scheduling event arrivals and departures to avoid conflicts, invoicing, collecting payment, etc.
- Provide assistance and support for the funding development efforts of the Board of Directors, including identification, cultivation, and stewardship of current and potential donors.
- Uphold the sponsoring organization’s no tobacco/alcohol/drug/weapons/ for all users and employees of the grounds.
- Responsible for all other duties that may be assigned.
- A commitment to Community of Christ and Buckhorn Camp missions, philosophies and values.
- Experience with developing budgets, developing revenues and controlling expenses; ability to create, comprehend and interpret a variety of analytical reports; understanding of financial statements.
- Excellent business management and analysis skills for a dynamic and complex organization including organizational and follow-through skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to establish and monitor a team-oriented environment; to provide staff leadership to fulfill organizational goals and objectives.
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, written and listening; provide front-line leadership for public relations initiatives and marketing efforts; possess excellent grammar, punctuation and proof-reading skills with command of the English language.
- Proficiency with the Internet, Microsoft Office, Excel, and ability to quickly learn other software and social media platforms.
- Understanding of the camping and hospitality industries.
- Background in non-profit 501(c)(3) organizational management.
- Ability to live on the grounds in provided housing, preferred.
Yes, staff numbers range from 3 to 25 or more, seasonally.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned when necessary.
Pre-hire background check with fingerprints is required. Employee is required to be a Registered Children and Youth Worker with Community of Christ or be able to register within 30 days of hire date, and complete the Preventing Discrimination and Harassment of Employees certificate program through Community of Christ.
Submit cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Denise Leichter.