This guide provides specifications related to design, style, and printing for the official Community of Christ nameplate and church seal.
- Official Community of Christ Nameplate
- Official Community of Christ Seal
- Official Community of Christ Usage in Print
Using the nameplate correctly is critically important in creating a visual identity that uniquely belongs to Community of Christ. This style guide is a working document that is continually evaluated and updated as issues arise.
Protecting the integrity of the Community of Christ nameplate is very important. Altering its appearance in any way damages the consistency and strength of our identity.
Downloadable versions are available at www.CofChrist.org/graphics/ or on CD-ROM by contacting Communications.
The primary color in which the nameplate should appear is Pantone 548 blue. For some design purposes it may instead appear in Pantone 1265 bronze. The nameplate should only appear in black when color is not available. Altering the appearance of this nameplate in any way damages the consistency and strength of the identity program as a whole.
For this reason, do not:
• break the nameplate into two lines
• put a line or stroke around the letterforms
• put a drop shadow behind it
• put it inside a block or other shape
• superimpose it over a photograph (unless the photo has a solid color space, e.g., a light blue sky)
The Community of Christ nameplate has complex letterforms. Plenty of surrounding free space is needed so it does not appear crowded. There should be space at least equal to the height of the letter “t” above and below, and space equal to the letter “m” on both sides of the nameplate
Simplicity is the key to maintaining an elegant appearance.
Some general guidelines to follow when using the nameplate also include:
- Any reproductions should be made from an original file so that optimal sharpness and clarity are achieved. Do not make a copy of a copy.
- The nameplate is for Community of Christ use only. Allowing outside organizations to use our graphics implies endorsement. In addition, these items are copyrighted.
- Use only the approved colors for the nameplate.
- Do not integrate the nameplate with other logos (e.g., the logo of a particular club or event).
Simplicity and consistency are key to maintaining an elegant appearance.
If you have a possible use for the nameplate that falls outside these guidelines, or are uncertain if your use is appropriate, please consult with Communications or call (816) 521-3041.
The Community of Christ seal must be used in its original rendering. Altering the appearance of our church seal in any way damages the consistency and strength of the identity program as a whole. Simplicity is the key to maintaining an elegant appearance.
- The seal is available in color and black and white. The colors are Pantone 548 blue, Pantone 1265 bronze, and other shades of these Pantones. Professional printers and product vendors will need to know these Pantone (PMS) numbers to accurately print the color seals.
- The color seal should always be rendered in the specified Pantone colors. If color printing is not available, use the black and white version of the seal.
- Be mindful of the space and location where the church seal will be displayed or printed. Use the appropriate seal size for reproduction.
- One graphic is provided that allows the nameplate and elements of the seal to appear together. No other seal should be used in combination with the nameplate.
- Keep in mind that the church seal need not appear on every item that bears the church’s name and/or nameplate. The nameplate is the anchor of our identity program. The seal will be used for specific purposes where it fits appropriately in terms of design and message.
- The church seal always stands on its own and should not be combined with any other logos (e.g., the logo of a particular event or a specific congregation). This helps to maintain the strength of the Community of Christ identity.
- The church seal is copyrighted and is only for Community of Christ uses.
- Congregations that sponsor events or need to show endorsement are encouraged to provide the Community of Christ nameplate as a graphic to the appropriate person.
- All reproductions of the church seal should be made from an original so that optimal sharpness and clarity are achieved.
- If you have questions about using the church seal, please e-mail Communications.
Note: The nameplate is a graphic, with its own style guidelines. The following guidelines pertain to using Community of Christ within a body of text, on forms, etc.
- Never use all capital letters for Community of Christ. The “of” is always lower case.
- Always spell out the name of the church. Do not use abbreviations.
- The entire name of the church should appear on one line (not stacked) for posters, business cards, letterhead, etc.
- “The” is not part of the church name. Therefore, do not capitalize “the” when it precedes Community of Christ.
- Community of Christ is our complete denominational name. Do not use “church” after it.
- Keep in mind that using the name of the church requires capitalization, i.e., Community of Christ. This is different from generically referring to “building a community of Christ.”
- The official Internet domain is www.CofChrist.org. Although capitalizing the Cs is not required when entering this URL address in the computer, please capitalize the Cs when printing the URL address to make it easier for people to visualize and remember.
- When considering historical events or concepts, it is sometimes accurate to use Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
If you have additional style questions, e-mail Communications.