2014 Peace Colloquy
Community of Christ Temple, Independence, Missouri, USA
Come to the 21st annual Peace Colloquy, the first in a two-year series focusing on the Mission Initiative of Abolish Poverty, End Suffering. There are vital issues we need to understand to accomplish this initiative.
- Where does poverty come from?
- Why is charity not enough?
- What do we need to learn about how "doing good" damages the most vulnerable?
- How is God calling us to respond more holistically?
Be part of this year's Peace Colloquy as we discuss and learn about approaches to abolishing poverty that work and are leading to sustainable, long-term change.
Highlights will include
- Honoring Bread for the World with the Community of Christ International Peace Award and The Rev. David Beckmann, Bread for the World president’s acceptance address October 24.
- An integrated experience of the inspiring power of Community of Christ Sings and its bold hymnody focused on Christ’s mission.
- Experiencing a poverty simulation for adults.
- Youth Retreat (Includes T-shirt; all meals Friday dinner through Sunday breakfast, transportation and lodging)
- Peace Kids for children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Community of Christ’s Reunion 2014 Resources: Create Shalom: Abolish Poverty, End Suffering
- Millennium Development Goals
- Stephen C. Smith’s Ending Global Poverty: A Guide to What Works (NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008)
- Ken Stern’s With Charity for All: Why Charities are Failing and a Better Way to Give (NY: Doubleday, 2013)
- Robert Lupton’s Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (NY: Harper One, 2012)