Site Honors UN’s Commitment to Peace
by Kristi Hettrick, Lee’s Summit, Missouri, USA
|Seventy James A. Everett (center) recently was honored for his United Nations Peace Plaza work. Among others in attendance were (from left) Wim van Klinken, International Headquarters director; Becky Savage of the First Presidency; and Jay Sjerven, Greater Kansas City chapter president of the UN Association.|
A decades-long tie between the United Nations and Community of Christ established another link May 18.
Ambassador Jim McLay, New Zealand’s representative to the UN, laid a wreath at the UN Peace Plaza, honoring more than 100 men and women who died in UN peacekeeping missions over the last year.
The site, near the Temple and Auditorium in Independence, Missouri, features a fountain with a 12-foot-high
bronze sculpture, “Lady with Dove,” by artist Tom Corbin. It is the only monument dedicated to the UN outside the headquarters in New York City.
A few days earlier, Seventy James A. Everett received an honor for his instrumental work in funding and building the Peace Plaza. A new bench was unveiled in his honor.
Ownership of the site, a beautiful area for individual reflection and occasional peace gatherings, recently was
transferred to Community of Christ at no cost. The church is committed to serve as custodian and keep the memorial dedicated to its intended purpose, aligned with the mission initiative to Pursue Peace on Earth.
The UN Association, which made the transfer, established the site in 1995 to commemorate the UN’s 50th anniversary and memorialize the sacrifices of personnel who died in peacemaking and peacekeeping operations.
The church’s links to the UN extend from June 27, 1945, when President Harry S. Truman announced the
USA had signed the UN charter. He made the historic announcement at the Auditorium.
For more information on how you can help support the UN Peace Plaza, contact Wim van Klinken, director
of Community of Christ International Headquarters: wvanklinken@CofChrist.org.